The Samaja Seva Mandali was established in the year 1958 by Prof. M.R. Doreswamy to promote the civic amenities in T.R. Nagar. To begin with a library, free reading room and craft center for women were started.
The locality was lacking educational facilities, which prompted Dr. M.R. Doreswamy and a few other renowned educationists including the late Prof. M.V. Krishna Rao to start an educational institution, with the noble objective of reaching quality education to the middle and lower middle class children of the society.
The SSM Nursery School was started in a 14 square building in 1967 at Thyagarajanagar near Sai Mandir, N.R. Colony. The school opened up with 14 students and later the primary school was started for both the boys and girls in english and kannada medium in 1968. With the growing demand subsequently the school came to have a beautiful building, thanks to the well-wishers and the partners. The School building was inaugurated by the then Governor of Karnataka, His Excellency Sri G. S. Pathak.
To meet the growing demands, the SSM acquired a CA site from BDA at Chennammana tank Bed, which houses today a huge 5000 sq.ft. School building. The building was inaugurated by the then Governor of Karnataka, his Excellency Sri P. Venkata Subbaiah in 1988.
Later in the year 2009 a new block was added to cater to the increasing student strength. The school offers classes standard to X standard. With a strong faculty SSM now has about 1300 students.